Degrees and Certifications:
Sixth Grade ELAR
Welcome to 6th Grade ELAR!
Since we are new to each other, I thought I would give you a few tips on how to be successful in my class at Whitney Middle School.
- Join Remind to receive reminders when work is due and tests are scheduled. There is a Parent’s Remind account and a Student’s Remind account to join. Instruction are found on another tab below this Introduction tab for the parents. Your student will have instructions posted on my bulletin board in class. I also will send home a copy of this with your student and the instructions on joining Remind can be found on the backside.
- Although the sixth grade does not have an Honors Reading or Honors Language Arts class, seventh and eighth grade do. If you or your student want to be considered for the honors classes next year, there are a few requirements that need to be met. Honors Reading requires 75 AR points with an A average for the year in the class and teacher's recommendation. Honors Language Arts requires an A average for the year in the class with the teacher’s recommendation.
- Your student will be required to read AR books (on their reading level) each six weeks and sometimes prepare a book report. This will be considered a test grade when assigned. The number of points will be determined each six weeks by me after I give them a reading test in class.
- All students should read their AR books each night. Even if only for 15 to 30 minutes at a time. The student will be able to test on their library books in several places. My classroom, the library and Mrs. Walker’s Technology class are available before school for testing. I also allow the students to test on AR books when they enter my classroom and forego their warm-up exercise for the day.
- I can be reached by email at email@example.com or by phone at 254-694-6568 during my conference which is usually 9:55 to 10:45 each day.
Thank you for your interest in my class and if I can help in any way, please do not hesitate to let me know.