Whitney Intermediate School
Science Laboratory Safety Contract
1. I will act responsibly at all times in the science classroom.
2. I will follow the teacher’s directions and make sure I understand what to do. If I do not understand what to do I will ASK my teacher questions until I do understand.
3. I will wear safety goggles along with the appropriate clothing at all times as directed by my teacher. Example: long-hair will be tied back, closed toed shoes, no loose fitting clothing, and dangling jewelry.
4. I will wait for permission from my teacher to begin any experiment or use any science tools.
5. I will mix materials ONLY when directed by the teacher.
6. I will cleanup my science area at the end of each activity. Dispose of any waste materials.
7. I will notify my teacher immediately if I spill or break something so that she can direct the cleanup.
8. I will NEVER taste, eat, smell, touch, or drink in the science classroom unless instructed to do so by the teacher. I will not smell any materials without using the “wafting” method.
9. I will wash my hands before I touch my face, mouth, eyes, and other parts of my body, or clothing after I have worked on a science activity.
10. I will know where the fire extinguisher is located in the classroom.
11. I will notify the teacher immediately of any unsafe actions by other students.
12. I will NEVER enter or work in the storage room unless supervised by a teacher.
I understand I will be removed from the science activity by the teacher if:
· I am behaving in such a manner that might cause injury to me or other students.
· I did not follow the safety rules for the science activity area or the science activity being performed.
· My personal appearance or dress is such that I could cause injury to myself or other students.
· I have not completed the Science Safety Quiz.
· I have not returned the signed Science Safety Contract.
I _________________________________(student name) have read each of the statements in the Science Laboratory Safety Contract and understand these safety rules. I agree to follow the safety rules and any additional written or verbal instructions provided by the school district or my teacher.
I ___________________________________(parent or guardian name) have discussed these rules with my child and feel that my child understands what they mean and the consequences for removal from the class.
Student Signature _________________________ Date ______________________
Parent Signature __________________________ Date ______________________
Home Phone ___________________ Work Phone _____________________
Date teacher received signed contract ________________________